Greetings, Fellow Earthlings!


I have a confession to make - I don't believe in pink unicorns.  Or purple unicorns, or green unicorns, or, well... I just don't believe in unicorns.  Period.


I also don't believe in trolls, ogres, orcs, goblins, fairies, fae, dragons, mermaids, mermen, and gods.  Not the Norse gods, not the Egyptian gods, not the Greek gods, and definitely not the Roman gods.  Especially not the Roman god who became the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim God.

Most people don't know this about me, because I don't talk about religion or faith often.  So in a way, I'm also a closet atheist.  But I don't really like the term "atheist"  since that word is an insult created by theists.  The prefix "a-" means "against", and I'm not certain that I'm against theism, or at least certain types of theism.

According to Merriam-Webster, theism is "the belief in the existence of a god or gods,...".  I completely support the belief in fun gods, like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.  As far as little kids go, believing in imaginary friends and gods helps make life more fun and interesting.  And as a parent, I like to play imaginary games with my kids, so these imaginary gods worked well.

But I don't like playing imaginary games where my kids are told that they are born evil, flawed, and must spend their lives trying to make up for this flaw.  I am against any god that says this, and that is why most Christians would call me an atheist.

Sigh.

You are probably wondering why I'm babbling on like this. I want to talk to people about how a nice girl raised in several Protestant churches became a closet atheist and not-so-closet a-pink unicornist.   I want to help other atheist and a-pink unicornist come out of  the closet, too, and have a place where they can feel comfortable.

And I want to say:
"Greetings, Fellow Earthlings!  We only have a relatively short time on our planet, and then we're gone.  So let's make the best of it.
Signed,
A-Pink Unicornist"

1 comment: